Keto and Coffee – 4 Easy Ways To Make Keto Friendly Coffee
For some of us, coffee is number one when it comes to jump-starting your day. If you are like me and other coffee lovers then you may be scratching your head wondering how you can enjoy a good cup of coffee without kicking yourself out of ketosis. The simple answer to this is to drink plain black coffee with no added sugar or milk. For myself personally, I can enjoy a plain hot cup of black coffee. But for others looking for a different approach then look no further because I’m here to help you combine your keto and coffee.
Benefits of Drinking Coffee
Before we get started I want to go over some benefit you will get by consuming coffee.
- Reduce post-workout muscle pain: A study has shown that at least 2 cups of brewed coffee can reduce post-workout muscle pain.
- Helps reduce the risk of heart disease: Studied participants who consumed 3 to 5 cups of coffee a day were less likely to develop the beginning signs of heart disease. Another study also shows that drinking at least 3 cups of coffee a day can help reduce the development of calcification in the coronary arteries.
- Stronger DNA: Stronger DNA was present in coffee drinkers. Far less DNA strand breakage. The study was posted to the European Journal of Nutrition and concluded that regular coffee consumption contributes to DNA integrity.
- Reduces colorectal cancer risk: This study examined 5,100 men and women who were diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Alongside were another 4,000 men and women with no history of colorectal cancer as a control group. They found that even moderate consumption of coffee can help reduce the risk of colorectal cancer by 26%. The more coffee consumed, the lower the risk.
- Lower the risk of type 2 diabetes: People who consumed 6 or more cups of coffee a day had a 22% lower risk of type 2 diabetes. The study can be found here.
- Lowers risk of Alzheimer’s disease: Dr. Mancini identified a group of compounds known as phenylindanes from roasted coffee. Phenylindanes are unique because they inhibit both beta-amyloid and tau, two protein fragments common in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Study abstract.
- Prevents Cavities: Researchers from Brazil found that black roasted coffee kills the bacteria that is responsible for tooth decay. However, if you add sugar or milk you will negate this beneficial effect.
- Helps with longevity: From the list above you can see how it may be already. There is a lot of evidence that supports this here and here.
Just wanted to share some of the benefits. There are many more out there of course but remember not to abuse it. We will build a tolerance for caffeine over time and will have to consume more to feel its effects. This may cause us to consume too much coffee, which will prevent us from getting a good night sleep. In the morning we will wake up tired and consume more coffee to help keep us up. Hopefully, you do not get caught up in this bad cycle of drinking coffee.
Keto and Coffee
OK, Let’s get to some keto friendly coffee ingredients!
1) Low-Carb Cappuccino (Dairy-free)
- 1/3 cup espresso
- 1/4 cup Aroy-D Coconut milk (2 fl oz / 60 ml)
- pinch of cinnamon or raw cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- (optional) 3-6 drops of liquid stevia extract or other healthy low-carb sweeteners from this list
Prepare the coconut milk in a milk frother likes this one. Simply heat up until it starts to foam on top. Prepared the required amount of espresso and pour the coconut milk into the espresso using a knife to hold back the foam. Before the cup is filled up, spoon the froth on top. Sprinkle some cinnamon or cocoa powder and you are done!
2) Bulletproof Hot Cafe Mocha
- 2 tbsp of full coconut milk
- 1 tbsp of Kerrygold butter
- 1 tsp of organic coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 double shot of espresso + 1/2 cup of hot water or a cup of regular brewed plain coffee
Mix all together. Use a milk frother for the coconut milk. Add a keto friendly sweetener if you would like to make it sweet and you are done! Its full of fat to help power your morning and get you through the day. If you find yourself having a busy morning try this Omega Power Creamer
3) Iced Coffee Protein Shake
- 1/2 avocado (or 1/4 large avocado), frozen with skin and pit removed
- 4 ounces unsweetened Coffee Cold Brew, frozen into cubes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or full0fat coconut milk (BPA-free)
- 1 scoop Vanilla Collagen Protein
- 1/2 tbsp of Brain Octane Oil
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup ice (in addition to cold brew cubes)
Put all ingredients into a blender except the protein powder and blend on the lowest setting and work your way up. When the mixture has blended add protein powder and blend on the lowest setting to avoid damaging delicate proteins. Garnish, if desired and serve! This is one is great if your someone who exercises in the morning before starting your day.
4) Cold-Brew Mocha-Coffee Panna Cotta
- One 11-ounce container of Mocha Cold Bulletproof Coffee
- 1 3/4 tsp grass-fed gelatin
- 1 Tbsp filtered water
- (Optional) keto friendly sweetener, cinnamon, or vanilla for added taste
Use a small saucepan, add the gelatin and water, stir to combine. Set aside for 1-2 minutes to allow it to bloom and thicken. When gelatin has bloomed, add in 1/4 cup of the cold brew mocha and heat on low until gelatin has dissolved. Add the remaining cold brew and stir to combine. Remove the pan from heat. Pour the mixture into 2 small glass jars, then place them in the fridge to set, which should take about 1-2 hours. When ready, serve and enjoy.
So that’s keto and coffee for you! Give one of these a try to kick start your day and let me know what you guys think. If you have any recommendations yourself please comment below with the ingredients. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!